Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Apple chips

This is a backlog entry.



Food doesn't have to be involved, complicated, or time/energy-consuming to be pretty or delicious.

Fruit/vegetable chips are probably old hat to experienced cooks, but I was and still am a newbie, and when I first saw pictures of fruit chips people were making, I just went "wow!" It just did not occur to me to prepare my fruits or veggies that way, and so I eagerly made my own attempt at them.

Safe to say, I LOVE eating them; they're crisp, light, airy, and just delicious. It almost seems not worth the bother though, because I can hardly stop myself from finishing the lot in one sitting! I'm hard-pressed to guilt myself into restraint when it's just one apple.... ;)

Instructions:
- Preheat oven to 100C or 212F.
- Core 1 or more apples, and slice lengthwise on a mandolin. I do this so that a lot of the chips come out whole, instead of with a hole in the center all the way through.
- Either slice into a bowl that already has some water with lemon juice or salt in it, or mix the slices through lightly salted water after slicing so that they don't brown. This might not be a problem if you have enough space to put all the apple slices in the oven immediately, but I usually have to do it in several batches.
- Arrange slices in a single layer over a lined baking sheet/tray, and sprinkle with sugar if you like.
- Bake for an hour or until crisp, turning trays occasionally. Remove gently and immediately onto a cooling rack. They may be a wee bit soft right out of the oven but should crisp up after a few seconds on the cooling rack. If they remain soft after about a minute, put the soft ones back in the oven for a few more minutes until they crisp up like the others.

No comments:

Post a Comment