Sunday, October 4, 2009

Sneaky Blueberry Bran Muffins






"Sneaky" muffins? What now??


They're sneaky because you wouldn't be able to tell just by looking at these, that they're actually chock-full of healthy wheat bran! They're a result of my attempt to make low-calorie, healthy, and yummy muffins last weekend. The result was so ugly that it really just looked like I had baked vomit! The wheat bran gave the muffins a really unpleasant-looking, mottled texture, and I think the sickly blue-green tint was due somehow to the blueberries.

It really disappointed me because I think that healthier alternatives to sweets/desserts shouldn't have to be the ugly or taste bad. So, yesterday, I was determined to remake them almost exactly the same way, but to disguise the muffins so they looked like 'regular' muffins. How did I achieve that?

Easy. I cheated.

All I really did was divide the batter into two before adding the wheat bran to one half. Then I added the wheat bran batter into the muffin cups first, and finished by ladling the smooth batter on top, topping with additional fruit/nuts. And ta-da! Wheat bran hidden away, prevented from spoiling the aesthetics of the muffins. :)

This recipe is a mixture of three different recipes that I basically combined to suit my own tastes and convenience. For example, I used milk instead of yogurt because I'm a milk-and-cereals breakfast person, so I always have milk around but I don't usually have yogurt.

Tastewise, other than the wheat bran, I wouldn't have guessed that these are 'lower-calorie' or 'healthy alternative' muffins, because they are delicious! The taste and smell of the banana does come through a bit though, so if you are really adverse to that, stick with the egg, heh. They're also really filling if you have one and drink a glass of water, due to all the fiber, so they're awesome when I'm feeling really munchy haha. Like most muffins, these freeze really well, too. I like to clingwrap each one individually, toss them in a freezer bag and freeze the lot. When I want one, I just nuke it for about 25 seconds and it's all soft and warm and comforting again. :)

Also, before we get to the recipe, I have to share this because I'm so proud of it haha!





Finally, I have something for a proper background and lighting! It's so DIY *laughs* It's just a cardboard box, white paper card, and baking sheets for light diffusers. Funnily enough, I didn't even know it was called a "light box" till all my friends started going "oh awesome, you made a light box!" I was just like, "hey y'all, check out my... makeshift... photography... tabletop... lighting... thing! :D" I got the instructions from a website kinda like this one here, but not... I can't find the website again *sob*. Don't you just hate when that happens?!

Uh, anyway. Recipe time!

Low-Calorie Blueberry Bran Muffins
Ingredients (makes 12):
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup wheat bran
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup yogurt or milk, non-fat/skim/whatever
- 2/3 large banana or 1 medium banana, mashed, or 1 egg, or 2 egg whites
- 4 tbsp oil (olive/canola/sunflower etc.)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup frozen fruit (blueberries, raspberries, etc.)

Instructions:
1) Preheat oven to 200C or 390F.
2) Mix dry ingredients EXCEPT wheat bran. Beat wet ingredients in a separate bowl and then add to dry ingredients. Mix until JUST incorporated; apparently they rise better when not overbeaten. I prefer doing this with a wooden spoon rather than with a mixer.
3) Set aside about half of the batter. Add the wheat bran to one half of the batter and mix to combine.
4) Stir through most of the frozen fruit into the wheat bran batter, setting enough fruit aside to top with later.
5) Spoon the batter with the wheat bran into a buttered/oiled muffin tray or into the paper liners in the muffin tray. Wash the spoons/ladles (or just use clean ones if you have extra) and then add the other half of the batter so that it covers the wheat bran batter. Top with remaining fruit.
6) Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.

Notes:
- I used cornmeal because I wanted something similar to the Kenny Rogers Corn Muffins. I also added 1/2 cup frozen corn, and quite like the taste, but it's not for everyone so don't mind it. If you don't want/have cornmeal, use 1 1/3 cup flour. In the future I might actually increase the cornflour:flour ratio because I love corn muffins haha.
- Maple syrup instead of sugar because I wanted something with a more intense, sweeter flavour. In my previous attempt I used an equivalent amount of sugar, and it was juuust bordering on not sweet enough. Surprisingly, they don't taste like maple syrup, but the muffins are definitely sweet enough this time around.
- I had no eggs, and plenty of really ripe bananas, which I've read are a good substitute so that's what I did.
- I added sliced almonds... I don't know why. I just liked the idea lol. Do what you like >.>;


Calories per serving: 132 calories. Pretty awesome when you consider that quite a few blueberry muffin recipes have about double that!

No comments:

Post a Comment